Sunday, January 27, 2013

Schoolism: Color and Light week 2 assignment


Ok so this is my week 2 assignment from my Schoolism class taught by Nathan Fowkes. The purpose of this exercise was to take a 3D gray render (the gray renders provided for our class were from DreamWorks Animation and the one I chose in particular was from DreamWorks' How to Train Your Dragon.) and paint over it trying to create a color and light design that felt believable, particularly in how light hits an object, how  light bounces off of an object, and the interaction between 2 opposing lights (one warm/one cool) and the local color of the object.
The two images  I have here are the before/after. This is just to give you an idea of the changes that were recommended that I added after watching my video critique.

Before(Top), After(bottom)

4 comments:

  1. Really great work. Thanks for posting your homework. I'm set for Nathan's second class in April and I can't wait. Will be checking out your blog regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and much appreciated! Best of luck with your class in April.

      Delete
  2. looks great! what was the coloring method you used to take a black and white render to color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jose Cua, thanks and I'm glad you liked it!

      As to your question, I really handle it the same way I do all my other works, its just with a 3d render you already have the convenience of most of the information provided for you. I start by painting over the render on a new layer to block in a basic value comp.
      Next I work on a new layer and loosely paint in the colors for the background, and then another for the foreground elements, this way I can see how all the colors relate to one another and change anything if needed without having spent a lot of time putting in details. At that point I'll start bouncing around between the background and foreground until I've hit a point where I feel the image is completed.

      I don't particularly like to use blend modes/filters like color burn/dodge etc, so its a lot of grabbing a value from my value comp, and throwing down various colors until I find one that works. I hope I answered your question, but if not let me know and I'll see about posting a step by step process for that assignment.

      Also, just checked out your sketch blog. Amazing stuff!

      Delete